One week to go!
For the very first time in my life, I am filled with doubts about an endeavour I am about to undertake. And I am wondering why.
Normally, I look forward, with barely restrained excitement, to departing for some land unknown, to explore and see places I have only read about or seen on TV. I love to travel - by air though, as I find it the fastest mode of transportation. Plus, I love the sound the engines make when the plane lifts off from the ground - that extra "oomph" at take off sets my blood buzzing and cracks my face into a wide grin. Yes, I have been given weird looks by my fellow passengers when this happens, but, what do I care? It's fun!
So, why am I apprehensive? I am either getting old or my mental state is the problem. I hope to God that, whichever is the culprit, by the time next week comes around, I will be back to my old, "can't-wait-to-go-on-this-trip" self. Self-doubt is a fairly recent and new emotion and I find it disconcerting and annoying! I plan to get to at least get to Gilman's Point (the point at which you get a certificate for climbing the mountain) or, God willing & Yayyy, Uhuru peak (the highest point on Kilimanjaro where, certificate or no certificate, you will proudly post on Facebook, pictures taken of you looking crazy and spaced out from the lack of oxygen and the sub-zero temperatures!)
Wish me luck!
Happy Birthday to Me!!!
Usually, on my birthday, I switch off my phone. Yes. No calls, no texts, no BBMs, Whatsapps or whatever instant messaging service that's in use. No emails. NOTHING. I am cut off from the world for the better part of a day. I do not go online either. Usually. For the past twelve odd years, that I have done. And on at least seven of my last birthdays, I have been "away" - mostly by design. It is not that I do not celebrate my birthdays - I do - but not in the conventional way. I don't do cakes - I remember my then two-year old daughter looking around the dining area and living room and asking "Mummy, where is your birthday?" and me telling her that it was "birthday cake" and that Mummy didn't do birthday cakes. She gave me a measured stare, the only way a two-year old can, and told me in a very stern voice "Mummy, when it's MY birthday, you MUST do cake, okay?" and marched back upstairs with what I swear was a shake of her head,...
Comments
Post a Comment
While you should feel free to comment, please do not use foul or offensive language. Yes it is a free world, but decorum is very much appreciated. Thank you.